Image Map

Writing Workshop Inspired

Hello Blog Friends!  It's Reagan from Tunstall's Teaching Tidbits.  Today I want to talk about writing workshop.


So what is the structure that you are currently using?  I am somewhere between rockin consistent mini-lessons to "oh lordy just take your notebook out and write something down please."   Thankfully I think I am doing more rocking and less oh lordy, but there is certainly room for improvement! #givemeamightyohyeah


This year at the end of my work day I sit and wait at the high school pool for my daughter to finish her swim practice.  This forced alone time makes for the perfect research time.  I tucked my favorite writing resources in my bag a couple weeks ago and it has reinspired my mini-lessons.

http://www.amazon.com/No-More-Done-Fostering-Independent/dp/1571107843/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412127558&sr=8-1&keywords=no+more+im+donehttp://www.amazon.com/Quick-Reaching-Struggling-Writers-Workshop/dp/0325025959/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1412127457&sr=8-5&keywords=lucy+calkins+writinghttp://www.amazon.com/Marvelous-Minilessons-Teaching-Beginning-Writing/dp/0872075915/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1412127583&sr=1-1&keywords=marvelous+minilessons+for+teaching+beginning+writing+k-3


Here are some of my newly inspired goals after reading these books{again and again and again!}:  she says as she hopes you want to hear it

Keep it short and to the point
GUILTY...  Set a timer if need be, but a mini writing lesson should be direct and to the point so the emphasis is on the writing happening in the room. Do not take over 10 minutes! {no seriously T-E-N}


One key objective 
If you are like me, as I pull out my chart tablet my mind races with a zillion processes that my students need!  Commit to the one you wrote down for the day!  Deep breaths...in and out....Just remember there's 180 days of school.  You'll hit the other processes in time!


Keep a teacher's mini-notebook for future lessons
This may not apply to you, but I get my best ideas when I am walking around looking at my students while they are constructing their thoughts and sounding out pencil to paper.  I see things that I quickly forget.  Walk and jot. Conference and jot.  repeat.  

Always connect today's goals to yesterday's work
We know that writing development is a long process over time.  Connecting your writing lessons each day shows students that this is a process and that each day is important.  Also it can help with that student that writes the exact same thing each day.  You know that kid is in your class.  #everyyear  Beginning with,  "Yesterday we worked on___________ and I noticed_{insert fabulous example here}_.  Today we will see how we can add ______________________ because this is something that great authors do!" 

 Interactive vs. Direct Teach
There are times that students need to be a part of the lesson.  Sharing the pen is a terrific approach to use in a mini-lesson.  However there are also times that teaching students a direct teach lesson is necessary.  Break out of routine and do what works best for each particular learning objective.  Writing lends itself to inspiration.  Variety is key!

Provide Inspiration
Not that every lesson needs to be fantastical,  but the occasional excitement really helps push students past a little lull in engagement or progress.  

An author's box of objects or an inspiration box is always fun and can help those that struggle with ideas.

Vary sizes and shapes and lines on paper.  {not a new piece of info. but oh so helpful for inspiration!} Vary writing utensils such as colored pencils, skinny markers, and pens too.  I haven't met a teacher yet without some sort of pen hoarding issue. #iteachforpens


Once is not enough 
Darn it all.  I taught that.  Why don't you have mastery level on your paper?!?!
Let's all raise our right hands and repeat:  Writing is a process.  We will love the journey.
Now do it again since once is apparently not enough! Aaaahhh!
Writing is a process.  We will love the journey....

Do you have some amazing ideas?!?! I would love to hear them!

Looking for some engaging writing lessons?  These are my new favorite additions to our day!

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Engaging-Writing-Activities-1381894http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Engaging-Writing-Activities-Volume-2-1397440



Want some fun new paper for your writing center?  Head to my facebook freebie and grab some!
Are you building writing portfolios this year?  Looking for writing bulletin boards?  Click the picture to check out this post below for more ideas!
http://tunstalltimes.blogspot.com/2014/05/making-writing-portfolios.html
Happy Writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment