Image Map

Free/Cheap Classroom Decor Ideas

Hi y'all! It's Leslie Ann from Life in First Grade and Life in Fifth Grade. Can y'all believe it's already July?!? Crazy! July always means classroom decorating for me. Well, who am I kidding? I'm always itching to get back in my classroom as soon as the wax dries on the floors. I just *love* decorating my classroom each summer. This year I've create some neat little things to use in the classroom that were free or under $5. 
I've already posted about my zero cost book covers from Lowes, but I thought I'd share them again. While I was waiting on my paint to get mixed one day at the beginning of summer, I noticed an empty display box sitting on the shelf. After the employee said that they just throw them away, I asked her if I could have it. She produced two more boxes after I mentioned I was a teacher and wanted to use them in my classroom. After a little paint, scrapbook paper, and some Mod Podge, I was left with these pretty new book displays. I used my Silhouette Cameo to add the titles. 






My mom recently purchased a new vacuum cleaner and as she was about to throw it away, I noticed it would make the perfect container to hold my spare bulletin board paper. All it needed was some pretty wrapping paper from Target. Haven't recently purchased a vacuum cleaner? No worries! Try calling a store like Lowes, Sears, or The Home Depot. Lots of times they have spare boxes that the display models come in. 
This last idea isn't entirely free, but it is under $5, which is a win in my book. I am a lover of all kinds of containers. I have a problem...I know. When I discovered the plain white photo boxes at Michaels, I realized that this was the perfect opportunity to create my own unique boxes for my classroom.  After pulling out the scrapbook paper and Mod Podge, I was left with these gorgeous little boxes that will hold various items. Love! 






8 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.
    Mrs. Brown Loves Bookworms

    ReplyDelete
  2. So visually addicting. WOW!! Smiles and stop by anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!!! What kind of paint did you use? Acrylic? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, Yes! I used Acrylic paint from the craft store :)

      Delete
    2. Oh okay, cool! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I love these! I hate throwing away boxes and containers. I also want to take empty containers from WalMart and Target when I see them...
    ✰Becca
    Simply 2nd Resources

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I store away all kinds of boxes and containers thinking (pretending) that I'll come up with a brilliant use for them one day. Then they just take up to much space and I trash them.
    Can't wait to REALLY try some of these ideas!
    Mrs. Allgood from Allgood Adventures

    ReplyDelete